The 5th Week

Thursday, August 27, 2009 | |



For this week, my class explored Web media and Social Networking sites. Its pretty simple to know what a Networking Site is, just another way that people connect to each other. From blogs, to chat rooms, to networking sites like Myspace and Facebook. It got pretty interesting though when the question arose on the ownership of the things you publish on several sites.




The question, "Are we Consumers? ... or Creators" had me thinking, I later found out during my tutorial that Facebook has ownership over what I put up on the site. I guess that would include photos, wall posts, personal information, etc... which is kinda scary if you ask me. Its like they own your identity in some way. Abit like cigarettes and the companies that make them: You smoke the stuff they make and it becomes part of your life, then it takes your soul. Well, obviously Facebook doesn't kill you but it has similar analogies... sort of.




All in all I found the lecture this week to be very informative. I also learned that eventhough reading the 'terms and agreement' section wastes 10 minutes of your life, it isn't such a bad thing to know what you're in for .

0 comments:

Post a Comment